Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blog Post #3

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

Some of the interesting facts in this video reflects to a portion of my college experience. I buy textbooks that I have never used during the entire semester. I think that it is just a waste to even use books in classrooms that are not useful for book users. When the video stated that technology is a turning point for the better of educating students in the classrooms, it is somewhat a question that can not be answered. If students say that they are using facebook while in the classroom, then what are they learning, I say nothing. It is very true that the costs of these computerized machines exceeds some of the job salaries. There are many of my classmates who have payed for a class and they never attend, which usually results in a failing grade.

As I watched this video some of the statements were not related to my college experience. Most people say that the average college student makes less than a dollar per day, but in my case I have a job that pays more than a dollar.  If I have my computer with me in class, I am not the type of person to get on my facebook page while the teacher is lecturing. College is important to me and learning is my main goal to succeed in my field. Students have to learn to choose between what is best for them when it comes to learning.

"It's Not About The Technology" by Kelly Hines

Ms. Kelly Hines has some very good points about teachers not getting the concept of teaching students to where they can learn. Kelly is trying to say that technology will not create an easy way for students to learn without being taught. As she stated in her writing, most teachers think that if they have gone over the material a hundred times and the students do not understand, than it is the students problem, but according to Ms. Hines it is the teachers problem.

Ms. Hines also stated in her writing that many teachers misuse technology. They think that technology can teach the students, but teachers can only teach students. Their were many valuable points for why teachers who are not innovative does not do innovative things with their students. Ms. Kelly also said that teachers must be learners. We as teachers must be up to date on the latest of innovative technology and should be willing to learn something new every day.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count


I was flabbergasted as the media counts for the different social networks changed so quickly.  Their were so many things happening at one time that I could not keep up with the numbers. This is an important example of how fast the world is changing. Every second someone has sent an email or has sent a tweet to another person. As a teacher this is telling me the things that I should know before I start teaching and what I should expect from students. Even though people are using technology at a substantial rate, students in schools are being forced to be on lock down when it comes to the classroom. I am not saying that their is something totally wrong with not having some type of technology, but their are some students who will use their digital smartness for unwise things.





1 comment:

  1. Hey Krista,

    Good post. I think you are getting the hang of this class. I am a little curious to what your picture has to do with the post?

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete