Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Special Metaphor Assignment (Blog Post #14)

1. I think I really did not miss the concepts of what the metaphor was actually about. I did understand that the pencils stated in the post was more reflected on some form of technology. There were statements about low-income families and how students from those families tend to think of the pencils as a form of entertainment. When this was stated in the post I did think about the "pencils" as being "computers", but I was a little to afraid that I was wrong. I think that many of the students missed this assignment because they really did not think of "pencils" as being preferred as "computers". I think that if my classmates really analyzed the post and took sentences that reflect to technology everyone probably would have had it right the first time.

2. Sometimes you are really not thinking about metaphors, but you hear them everyday and you even say them when you are talking.  Just the other day I heard a metaphor from my dad stating "beat the traffic". Today my friend said that "it is raining cats and dogs outside". Metaphors is something that is used in our daily language.

3. I think that as educators to help students to actually learn about metaphors and to use them is to challenge them with assignments like Dr. Strange did for my EDM 310 class. As educators we can also incorporate metaphors in our lectures as we talk to our students. The more students are exposed to metaphors the more they will be able to understand how to analyze their own assignments and how to incorporate it into their daily language.

4.In my opinion, metaphors is a way of saying something, but it is much simpler to grasp. For example, if I say that it is raining cats and dogs outside, instead of saying that it is raining hard, I am implementing that their are large droplets of condensation. Metaphors has more effect when it is spoken. Metaphors tend to be more forceful than an analogy it emphasizes the spoken words and grasps the listeners attention.



No comments:

Post a Comment